The Minnesota Vikings announced on June 15th that they were inducting Randy Moss into the Vikings “Ring of Honor”. As I thought about it, I decided it would be a good “what the heck” article for me. From the NFL’s baddest boy, to being on the Vikings “Ring of Honor”As I researched historical data on Moss, I was blown away, about some of his positive accomplishments, and reminded of some of his, not so good moments. It would make a great movie: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, Part II.
- 1995 West Virginia High School Football Player of the Year.
- Parade High School All-American.
- In 2009, Parade named him to their 50 Best High School player of all-time.
- West Virginia basketball player of the year for 2 years.
- Won the 100 meter & 200 meter in the West Virginia state meet.
- Attended Marshall because off the field incidents negated big time offers.
- At Marshall for 2 years, he had 174 receptions, 3,500 yards and 54 touchdowns.
- Won best college receiver of the year award, finished 4th in the Heisman voting.
- Vikings, rookie season, he set NFL rookie records, and lead team to 15-1.
- He was a 6 X Pro Bowler; 4 X 1st team All-Pro, led league in touchdowns 5 X .
- Holds many NFL records, most important, is 9 seasons with at least 10 TD’s.
- For his career, he had 982 receptions, 15,292 yds, and 156 TD’s
- A high school fight, cost him a scholarship at Notre Dame, and 30 days in jail.
- As a freshman, at FSU, marijuana charge, kicked off team, served 4 months in jail.
- A no show, at the NFL Combine. Rumored it was because, he would fail, drug test.
- Many questioned his character, so he dropped from projected top 5 to No.21.
- An incident where Moss spit in a referee’s face, as he was running by. Disgusting!!!
- He pushed a traffic cop with his car for a block. 3 traffic citations.
- Went into a rage, on the team bus, against corporate sponsors. Embarrassing!!.
- Made a statement that followed him forever, “I only play when I want to play”.
It was great seeing Moss show some emotion, when he heard the news, of being inducted into the “Ring of Honor”. He actually appeared to be humbled by the announcement.