The Minnesota Vikings signed Michael Floyd on May 10th, 2017, after Floyd had been released by Arizona, then New England, due to an excessive DUI in December in Phoenix. He was found asleep at the wheel, with 3 times the legal limit. He was going to face a 2 – 4 game suspension for the 2017 season from the NFL. He had had a successful 5 year career, with the Arizona Cardinals, as a starting receiver.
For the Vikings, he would certainly be an improvement, over their current receiving corp, or at least, a great addition, but of course they would have to weigh the overall impact on the team, after his 4 game suspension was announced by the NFL.
I first became aware of Floyd through a friend on the Cretin-Durham Hall School coaching staff, St. Paul, MN. He told me about this young athlete, who wanted to attend the private school Cretin-Durham Hall. He of limited resources, had to accept a scholarship, that he would have to work off, working early in the morning with the custodial staff. He also had to take a metro bus, 1 hour each way to get there.
Here is some additional background on Floyd:
- Outstanding basketball player, in addition to football.
- Minnesota High School Player of the year in 2007 & 2008.
- Rivals ranked him No. 3 in the country, a 5 star recruit.
- Junior year at Notre Dame he had 79 receptions & named MVP.
- His Senior year, he had 100 catches,1,147 yds, 9 TD’s.
- Drafted by Arizona Cardinals # 13 in the 2012 draft.
- His Arizona career, he had 246 catches, for 3,782 yds, & 24 TD’s.
He could be a great find (and inexpensive ) for the Vikings. He has the credentials, and a proven track record, if he can stay away from the stupid sauce.